Why is the CAN Card training program important to your business and the area?
The goal is to increase economic opportunity, especially in the shoulder months. Autism families are extremely loyal. Children/people on the spectrum crave routine and familiar surroundings. Once a family has had a successful visit to your establishment, you can bet they will be back AND tell their friends about the experience.
The population is growing. From 1 in 120 in 2010 to 1 in 59 in 2018.
One negative review or experience from an employee/business that was not trained could cost you a lot in negative press. Having the CAN training and support, as well as that of the MBACC can be of tremendous help in such a situation. Local and tourist families from near and far are planning trips to the area because of our dedication to their families and their specific sensory needs and accommodations.
In partnership with the MBACC and MBAHA, Champion Autism Network’s autism friendly travel destination initiative is moving into Myrtle Beach. Training for management and staff at restaurants, hotels and venues is available for businesses wanting to support this loyal and growing community.
A training package has been developed with ABA therapist provider South Carolina Interventionists and Bee Sharp Professional Training to ensure your organization has the information and support to ensure families dealing with autism have an enjoyable experience during their time with you.
The training package includes:
- An on-site consultation, touring of the facility, review of procedures and processes, meeting with key employees and discussing a plan of implementation.
- Support just a phone call away
- A CAN badge for your website
- A CAN Certified sticker for your establishment window
- A listing on the CAN website indicating you’ve completed the training with contact information and link to your website.
- A press release announcing your business’ participation in the CAN program.
- The ability to state you are an autism friendly business on your MBACC business listing.
The suggested donation for this package and service is $250 per location, additional for call center script-writing and training.
It is important to note that not all businesses and restaurants are conducive to being sensory friendly, but being autism aware and having support from the entire community is paramount.
Here are other ways your business can be involved:
Sponsor a sensory friendly event, like our monthly movies or Birthday Bowling Bashes, or one of our fund raisers.
Help families in your community. Donations are used to support CAN events and awareness projects.