Why is the CAN Card training program important to your business and the area?
The goal is to increase economic opportunity, especially in the shoulder months. Autism families are extremely loyal. Children/people on the spectrum crave routine and familiar surroundings. Once a family has had a successful visit to your establishment, you can bet they will be back AND tell their friends about the experience.
The population is growing. From 1 in 120 in 2010 to 1 in 55 in 2016.
One negative review or experience from an employee/business that was not trained could cost you a lot in negative press. Having the CAN training and support, as well as that of the MBACC can be of tremendous help in such a situation. Local and tourist families from near and far are planning trips to the area because of our dedication to their families and their specific sensory needs and accommodations.
In partnership with the MBACC and MBAHA, Champion Autism Network’s autism friendly travel destination initiative is moving into Myrtle Beach. Training for management and staff at restaurants, hotels and venues is available for businesses wanting to support this loyal and growing community.
A training package has been developed with ABA therapist provider South Carolina Interventionists to ensure your organization has the information and support to ensure families dealing with autism have an enjoyable experience during their time with you.
The training package includes:
- A listing on the autismvillage.com website where your business can list specials and respond to ratings and reviews
- Unlimited on-demand video tutorials for your existing and incoming staff through autismvillage.com. There are 3 videos, each approximately 20 minutes in length.
- Printed materials for your employee handbooks that include facts about Autism, things people with autism would like you to know, knowledge and tips on dealing with people with autism and specific training tips, by job function for restaurants, businesses, stores, venues, property management companies and hotels.
- An on-site consultation, touring of the facility, meeting with key employees and discussing a plan of implementation.
- Quarterly training sessions/reviews/role play to discuss challenges and successes
- Support just a phone call away
- An Autism Village badge for your website
- A CAN badge for your website
- A CAN sticker for your establishment window
- A listing on the CAN website indicating you’ve completed the training with contact information and link to your website.
- A press release announcing your business’ participation in the CAN program.
- The ability to state you are an autism friendly business on your MBACC business listing.
The suggested donation for this package and service is $250 per location, additional for call center script-writing and training.
It is important to note that not all businesses and restaurants are conducive to being sensory friendly, but being autism aware and having support from the entire community is paramount.
Here are other ways your business can be involved:
Support Round-Up for Awareness
Join local businesses and round-up purchases to the nearest dollar amount. Donations help CAN support events for local families and to spread awareness of autism. Become listed as a Round-Up participant in our CAN card program!
Help families in your community. Donations are used to support CAN events and awareness projects.
Champion Autism Network is a 501c3 organization and is 100% volunteer. All proceeds go to modest operating and program expenses. Your monies are tax deductible.
Thank you for your support and interest!
Contact Becky Large, Executive Director of CAN for more information or to schedule your training.
Championautismnetwork@gmail.com or 609-744-0099